Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Quick Homemade Pizza and Homemade Chicken Sausage

I made these this morning for the kids' snacktime in school. When I say quick, I really mean it is quick and easy and this can be done in the morning, no need to prepare beforehand, nothing much to prep really. 

I used Mission brand Pita Bread for the base, opened a can of Prego spaghetti sauce and slathered the pita bread with the sauce. I cut up some *homemade chicken sausages which I heated in the microwave for a while to thaw as they were taken out of the freezer. Earlier the sausages had been steamed before freezing. Simply cut some slice cheddar cheese and lay on top of the pizzas.

Bake in a preheated oven at 160 degrees celcius for about 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the pita bread is warm through. Cool on a wiring rack, cut into slices and pack to school. So easy, right? The lonely sausage is also baked in the oven, just because. Babycakes had the sausage before going to school.

As for the sausages, some kind mummies on a Facebook group shared recipes on homemade sausages. We all know how bad sausages are but who doesn't love their sausages, right? I decided to jump into the 'homemade sausage' bandwagon and made my own chicken sausages last week. I used Ramly minced chicken as I don't have a food processor to mince my own chicken fillets/breasts. You can choose to mince your own chicken or get them from your grocer or you can always opt for the frozen ones like I did. Here is the recipe that I used for the homemade chicken sausage. Bear in mind that I did not have an exact measurement as the initial recipe which I followed didn't specify the exact measurements. Simply use your discretion or feel free to search for other recipes.

  • One packet 400g minced chicken (I used Ramly's)
  • Pinch of salt 
  • Dash of pepper (black or white is fine)
  • Italian mixed herbs (you can use other herbs you have)
  • Some olive oil
  • Some cornstarch
Mix all ingredients in a bowl until it becomes a sticky paste. Cut up some parchment/baking paper and place the mixture and roll them up until they form a sausage. Chill them in the fridge for an hour or so. After they have firmed up and taken shape, steam the sausages for 10 minutes. I steamed the sausages with the parchment paper still attached. Remove parchment paper and pan fry until golden brown. 

Some people added blended shitake mushrooms to the mixture. I had some mozarella cheese so I cut them up in small cubes and added them to the mixture. You can also roll the mozarella cheese inside the sausage. I left the steamed sausages to cool before freezing them in ziplock bags. My kids approved the sausages so I plan to make a larger batch the next time. Now I won't mind if my kids ask for sausages to bring to school every other day. 



No comments: