Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Dinner made easy

Being a busy working woman and having a toddler around, I'm all for making quick dinners and I really appreciate an easy to prepare meal or a one dish meal. After a long day in Court and in the office, the last thing I want to do when I go home is to cook a storm for dinner, unless I am really in the mood. Meals that are easy, have minimal ingredients yet complete nutrition are a Godsend. It would be a bonus if I have all the ingredients needed in my kitchen so I don't need to drop by the supermarket or kedai runcit to buy the stuffs. Again, this depends on my mood. Sometimes I would make a quick stop at the kedai runcit near our house or if the ingredients are fancy ingredients, I would drop by Cold Storage.
The other day I had a really good salmon quiche and mushroom quiche with my good friend Sara. I've made tuna quiche before and it's quite tedious as you need to make the pastry beforehand. But then I found one recipe which is so easy I could whip it up in less than 15 minutes!

I mixed eggs, milk, melted butter, flour, baking powder (the recipe calls for self-raising flour but I ran out of them so I had to improvise by mixing wheat flour and a tsp of baking powder), a can of tuna, a can of button mushrooms, sliced, frozen peas, baby tomatoes and cheddar cheese. I simply used the sliced cheddar cheese although the recipe calls for grated cheese. Whatever works, people!

I managed to whip it all without having Babycakes bugging me because she was occupied with her nursery rhyme dvd. I baked the quiche for 40 minutes at 180 degrees celcius. Timing is everything when you have a busy toddler. Once I put the quiche in the oven, I took a bath and gave Babycakes a bath and a good wash because she had pooped.

Once cooked, simply cut and serve. It would be nicer if you have a cold salad on the side but I've got the peas and baby tomatoes in it so that's good enough.

So that was our quick and hearty dinner. We even have enough leftovers for all three of us for lunch the next day. You can guess which container belongs to who.

For the full recipe, click here.

No comments: