Thursday, May 17, 2012

Mom Fail Moment

Yesterday was a Mom Fail Moment for me. I was busy preparing for my hearing today when boss called for a meeting at 5pm. He said it will be a short meeting. I went in and it went on and on and on. There is no such thing as a short meeting. I did not wear my watch as I removed it earlier. I also did not bring my bb with me into the meeting room. At one point, I saw boss’s watch and it looked like it was 5.50pm. another time I look, it appears to look like 6.10pm. And then my staff’s hubby came to the office with their baby and my staff asked to leave. I thought it was only 6pm –ish. When the meeting finally ended (with me having to almost burst my bladder), I looked at the office clock and it looks like it was 7.20pm. when I went to the toilet and looked outside, it was a bit dark and I thought it was going to rain. I came back to my room and checked my bb and saw the clock 7.21pm. 

PANIC. OMG BABYCAKES!! It’s almost 7.30pm and I’m still in the office!!! I quickly packed my briefcase and threw whatever’s on my desk into the bag. I hope I brought the right documents and cause papers. I even had a bottle of pumped milk still in the bottle which I’ve yet to put in the storage bag. I did not bring the bottle lid so I had to put it in the storage bag. I quickly did this while trying not to spill any milk. I called hubby but as usual he did not pick up his phone. Grrrrrrrrr. I called again while packing my stuffs and I said to hubby, “I tak amik Babycakes lagi!! I ada meeting tadi and I ingat masih pukul 6! OMG OMG” Hubby then calmed me down but he was in a meeting himself in Kiara. I quickly dashed out of the office only to find my car blocked by another car. Grrrrrrrr again. I then called Babycakes’ nursery and informed her sitter that I am on my way and apologized for not informing earlier. I asked how Babycakes was and her reply was, “Irene OK je ni kak. Dia tengah main ni. Tak nangis tak apa pun.” Phewww. I quickly drove like a mad woman and then informed hubby that I am on my way to pick Babycakes. Every car that was slow in front of me will either get the high beam flash or honk or both. When I see a green light, I secretly wish for it to stay green. When it was red, it felt like the longest red light ever. At one point, I cried. I don’t know why but a sudden wave of emotion crept through and I felt so guilty towards Babycakes. At the same time, I kept chanting, “Mummy’s coming Babycakes” “Wait for Mummy Babycakes”. I looked at the mirror behind me (a mirror which I stick on my car, facing Babycakes and I can see her from my rear view mirror. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, check it out here.) I saw her empty car seat and I felt more emotional. I also thought, what if she gets hungry? What if he wants her milk? Will she be angry at me? Will she think that I purposely leave her there to wait? When I was at the traffic light in front of the court complex, it was red but there was no car at all and I was THISCLOSE to jump the red light but I told myself that it is better that I wait rather than hurt myself along the way and not able to pick Babycakes in the end. When I finally reached her nursery, her sitter told me that she pooped so they’re changing her diaper. I couldn’t be more relieved when I heard her voice and when I saw her face and I could not stop kissing and apologizing to her.

You may think I am a drama queen, I am exaggerating but I am not. I have never felt like this before in my life. It was definitely a Mom Fail Moment and I hope I will never ever have to face it again.

NOTE TO SELF:
1. Always wear your watch.
2. Always bring your handphone or blackberry to the meeting room BUT make sure it's on silent mode.
3. There is no such thing as a 'short or quick meeting.'

No comments: