Friday, April 22, 2011

cough cough go away

I have been having interrupted sleep for the past many many nights, no thanks to my constant coughing, which I totally blame on the pregnancy. It really bothers me and to top it off, I also get runny and blocked nose. What a combination! We don't always sleep with the aircond on unless when it is really hot or on warm nights. Even before I got married, I seldom sleep with the aircond on. I only need to switch on the fan at number 3 and I'll be fine. Hubby, on the otehr hand, gets warm and hot and sweaty easily. Anyway, being married is all about compromising, among others. At times when we did not switch the aircond on, he would toss and turn, fidget and move around (which of course affects my sleep) and sometimes I would find him sleeping on the floor (poor soul). When I asked him if he wanted the aircond on, he would say, "takpe, tak payah. nanti u batuk/selsema/hidung tersumbat" But I know he was uncomfortable. So on nights when we switch the aircond on, he would sleep like a baby, much to my pleasure but my sleep will be interrupted with constant coughing, runny nose and blocked nose, which in turn affects his sleep.

At my last check up, I told my obgyn and she gave me this cough syrup. This cough syrup is effective and it works wonders! I took 10ml of it and within minutes, I would feel very drowsy and I could fall asleep very easily. My coughs during the night was also lessened but they came back with a vengeance during the day. Of course I did not take it during the day even though the instruction was to take twice daily. If I were, you will probably find me slumped on my desk.

the magic potion

Now the magic potion is finished and my cough and the works doesn't look like they're leaving me anytime soon. What should I do? Sometimes my chest or my lower abdomen became painful when I cough so bad.

Can I take the normal, over the counter cough syrup like Breacol and the like? With regards to our sleeping situation, I guess we will have to compromise and compromise some more. After all, that is what marriage is all about, no?

5 comments:

twayblade said...

breacol was the only cough syrup i took when i was pregnant as i considered it as mild, compared to the normal cough med i usually take which is the bena expectorant - for asthmatic like me. breacol tu, telan sebotol pun tak jalan. tapi nak buat mcm mana kan, kena jugak la. at the same time kena pikir pasal baby dlm perut kan.

Unknown said...

so it's safe to take Breacol lah ye? thanks sis! tapi ye lah, kalau x berkesan, cam buat penat, buat ngantuk je bila makan. penat lah batuk2 nih...

Anonymous said...

my cogh goes off after taking bena expectorant or sumtig that sounds like that. u can cek it out with d doktor first weder 2 strong 4 mama 2 b like u....from bath,england

Unknown said...

thank u anonymous. I'll check with my doctor on my next visit.

~Sis~ said...

Always check with your doctor first! Do not simply take over-the-counter products!
p/s-Anonymous tu macam kenal je sapa, haha. :P